Saturday, September 26, 2015

While you're freaking out about the supermoon, the plain old facts are here to give you chills.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson ponders the truth, and we all reap the benefits. I've missed this guy!


Neil DeGrasse Tyson, America's science coach (as I have named him), has a bone to pick with the supermoon.


And I'm not happy about it! I want the supermoon to have meaning!



I want the supermoon to be mysterious and mystical. I want to wonder at the mysteries of the universe! I want to feel vibrations!

Especially since the supermoon + harvest moon + blood moon + lunar eclipse is happening ... surely that means something.

So. I have some follow up questions here.

What about the harvest moon? That's cool right?


Hm, farmers. Neato. Thanks for the corn and all but ... thud.

How about the blood moon! That's mystical and sorta witchy in a Stevie Nicks kinda way, right?


Actually wait ... that's kinda interesting. *sets timer*

So how about the eclipse part?!


Smiley face emoticon indeed. That's pretty meaningful.

We're all hemisphere neighbors, billions of us, standing underneath the same skyroof, seeing our nearest celestial neighbor change color.

Even plain old straightforward facts can still give me chills.

Don't act like you weren't singing this in your head.

Yay. Enjoy your moon-gazing, earth neighbors.

And if you wanna see the supermoon, let's all look at it together! According to fellow skyroof enthusiasts at NASA, on the night of Sunday, Sept. 27, 2015, you can watch a live-stream of the eclipse or you can watch it live!

"Earth's shadow will begin to dim the supermoon slightly beginning at 8:11 p.m. EDT. A noticeable shadow will begin to fall on the moon at 9:07 p.m., and the total eclipse will start at 10:11 p.m."

I'll be looking up. :-)


Thanks to Neil deGrasse Tyson for sending me on this emotional moon journey. Thumbnail of NdGT via Bruce F. Press/Wikimedia Commons and moon image via dingopup/Flickr.



No comments:

Post a Comment