Friday, June 16, 2017

The Stanleys take in kids who need help. And the kids said thanks with the best surprise.


Day by day, Adam and Becca Stanley's beautiful family just gets bigger and bigger.

Ever since they moved to Adair Park in Atlanta, Georgia, in 2011, they've been welcoming more and more kids into their family. They already had three kids of their own, but to them, family is much more than just its biological definition. To them, a family connection can extend to anyone and be as simple as welcoming someone into your home when they have no other place to go.

All screenshots via Minute Maid.

That's why when they moved, they started their own nonprofit focused on mentoring youth. Whether it's through organizing local sports leagues, throwing a big Sunday morning pancake breakfast, or welcoming new kids in need into their home, the Stanleys have truly made an impact with the people who make their community so great.

"We really just want it to be a safe place for the kids in the neighborhood," explains Becca.

Just check out the video below to learn more about the work they're doing and the moving story behind their growing family:

Life would be very different for the kids in this neighborhood without this super-dad.

Posted by Upworthy on Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Without question, the Stanleys go above and beyond to give back to those who truly need a helping hand.

"When I was having a rough time," says Ashton Berot, one of the kids in the neighborhood, "they gave me a place to stay, they got me in college, helped me stay in high school."

"It kinda inspired me to think bigger and go bigger."

And because all the kids felt that same kind of love, they rose to the Minute Maid challenge and created a heartwarming gift for the Stanleys – a reverse care package.

They simply wanted to show their appreciation for all that Adam and Becca do for them. So Ashton gathered all the kids in secret to prepare the care package with surprise goodies like a signed football complete with personal messages, pancake mix (of course!), and some Minute Maid orange juice. After all, their breakfast gatherings always meant so much to Ashton and he looked forward to having many more morning meals together as a family very soon.

So to cap it all off, he wrote an incredibly touching letter to show just how wonderful his experience with the Stanleys was.

Dear Adam,
Thank you for your kindness and generosity. I am very thankful for everything you've done for me — getting me in school, keeping me out of trouble, giving me job opportunities, and allowing me to meet your family. You've helped me think and dream bigger. I really don’t know where I would be today if i had not met you and Becca. You've inspired me to be a better me and help people less fortunate than me. You've done so much for me, I wanted to do something for you. Here's a gift from all of us.
Be happy,
Ashton

When we open our hearts (and doors) to neighbors in need of a helping hand, truly amazing things can happen.

In fact, we get more in return than we could ever imagine: friends we can call family and people who have our backs no matter what.




No comments:

Post a Comment