Friday, October 30, 2015

15 people with Down syndrome tell a mom what kind of life her child will have.


Every year, around 6,000 American children are born with Down syndrome.

One out of every 691 babies are born with the condition (in which a person has an extra chromosome), making it one of the most common genetic conditions in the U.S. Approximately 400,000 Americans have Down syndrome.

Those statistics, however, don't take away the worries that many expectant parents feel when they learn the baby they're carrying has Down syndrome.

In a heartwarming video created by an Italian Down syndrome advocacy group called CoorDown, a mom-to-be asks what it will be like to raise a child with Down syndrome.

"I'm expecting a baby," she writes. "I've discovered he has Down syndrome. I'm scared: what kind of life will my child have?"

The organization responded to her in the best way possible: They created a video of people who also have Down syndrome telling her what she can expect.

They shared all of the things her son would be able to do.


And they shared the hard truth, too.

Here's the bottom line, though.

Grab your tissues for this...

The unknown is scary, which is why videos and information like this are so important.

Maureen Wallace, a writer and mom whose oldest son Charlie has Down syndrome, told me that the most important thing is "education and getting accurate information into the hands of parents who may have had little to no experience with someone with Down syndrome."

"What I wish someone had told me is that my child with Down syndrome is going to make me burst with love, explode in frustration, and exude pride and joy regularly," she said. "Then I wish they had added: Just like every other child you have."


CoorDown, an Italian Down syndrome advocacy group, created this video.



No comments:

Post a Comment