Friday, July 17, 2015

Between skydiving at 82 and life perspectives that won't quit, Dylis could teach us a thing or two.

You have to hear what she says because she seems to have this whole life thing figured out.


People sometimes think that taking chances and having fun should end at a certain age.

Dylis is here to show you they're flat-out wrong.

At 82 years old, Dylis holds the record as the oldest female skydiver in the world.

Pretty amazing right? Here's some of what she had to say:

"People come up to me and say 'Oh, be careful.' I think, 'That's ridiculous. What a better way to die? Having fun!'"

"I used to be so scared that I would drive the car up to the drop zone and think 'I could go back. I don't have to stay here.' But I knew if I went away, I would never come back again. So the ecstasy was more than the fear."

Dylis looked back and saw a pattern in her life that helped her to let go of the past and be rooted in the present. She dedicates most days to her nonprofit charity that helps adults with developmental disabilities. On her days off, she does this:

“You're a bird for 50 seconds and imagine! You can go at 140 miles an hour, you can do a barrel roll, you can flip, you can move here, you can move there. You can join up with people. It is unbelievably wonderful. I won't stop until I know it's not safe."

Some people hate getting older. And indeed, not everyone is fortunate to maintain relatively good health as they age, and that makes life understandably much less prone to spontaneous fun. But for some, they find a surprising freedom. They've lived the life they and perhaps others expected themselves to, and now they can feel free to live for themselves.

It's an inspiring kind of lightness we all should be so lucky to experience.


Video from James Callum.



No comments:

Post a Comment